Fire breaks out in advanced eye center of PGI Chandigarh, no injuries reported

News Patiala:

A fire broke out in the advanced eye center of the Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research (PGI) in Chandigarh on October 16, 2023. The fire broke out in the UPS battery room of Advanced Eye Center and spread rapidly.

As soon as the fire broke out in the morning, the OPD patients were evacuated and those entering the building were stopped at the gate. Five to six fire tenders reached the spot and brought the fire under control within an hour. No injuries were reported.

The investigation revealed that the fire broke out due to a short circuit in the UPS room. The fire caused extensive damage to the UPS battery room and the surrounding equipment. However, the main eye department was not affected by the fire.

The PGI administration has ordered an inquiry into the fire incident. The PGI has also advised patients to visit the emergency department for eye care services till further notice.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *