Patiala, Punjab: The air quality in Patiala has reached hazardous levels due to the smoke generated from stubble burning. This has led to a surge in hospital patients, especially those with respiratory and asthma problems.
According to the health department, there has been a 10% increase in the number of patients visiting OPDs at Rajindra Hospital, Mata Kusalya Hospital, and TV Hospital. Many patients are complaining of difficulty in breathing, cough, cold, and phlegm congestion in the chest.
The health department has made Rajindra Hospital a nodal hospital for such patients, where more serious patients can be admitted. The department has also issued an advisory and given special instructions to take care of oneself in such weather.
Air pollution has many negative effects on human health, including skin diseases, lung diseases, asthma, lung cancer, pneumonia, diabetes, blood clots, strokes, reduced brain development, mental health effects, heart disease, high blood pressure, and many other adverse effects.
Tips to Protect Yourself from Air Pollution:
- Avoid going outdoors during peak pollution hours.
- If you must go outdoors, wear a mask to filter the air.
- Keep your windows and doors closed as much as possible.
- Use an air purifier in your home.
- Drink plenty of fluids to stay hydrated.
- Eat a healthy diet rich in antioxidants.
- Get regular exercise to boost your immune system.
If you are experiencing any health problems due to air pollution, please consult a doctor immediately.